Wednesday, April 16, 2014

REFLECTING ON WHAT I KNOW  CHAPTER NINE

How can my students use multimedia for their projects?

In one lesson on Thahha Lai's Inside Out & Back Again (2013), I could have my students do a read aloud of a picture book related to the novel and specifically for young adults.  I could have them use Windows Movie Maker.  In another lesson on the same novel, I could have my students produce a Prezi presentation on the prevalence of school bullying and ways to prevent it.  In a third lesson, I could have my students produce a summary of the book or excerpts from the book with illustrations using Voicethread.

What applications are available for creating a multimedia presentation?

EWC Presenter is recommended to create multimedia content.  It's a free online tool.  The uses include creating interactive presentations, infographs, animations, and web pages.

PiKtocart is used to create multimedia presentations.

Easel.ly is designed especially for teacher and children.  It's great for storytelling.

Other applications include the following:  Sound Slide, Prezei, Empressor, AmCharts, Cacoo, SlideShare,
Animoto, Vuvox, Knovio, HelloSlide, Jux, Present.me, Zentation, Popplet.

Should I place limits on how my students use multimedia?

In using Movie Maker to create a Read Aloud students could encounter problems scanning the individual pages.  It may be necessary for students to work in pairs.  Timing may also prove challenging and is a bit of a guessing game to begin.  It can be frustrating, but does not take long to get the hang of it.  Usually the narration takes several attempts to get it right.  Adding music requires familiarity with various applications.


No comments:

Post a Comment