Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Chapter Four:  Computer Software in Today's Classroom

1.  There are so many types of software; how do I know which ones to include in my lessons?

From the productivity software category, word processing would be my first choice.  Provided that students have keyboarding skills, word processing has been shown to improve the writing skills of students (94).  From the research category, students need to use browsers, search engines, and plug-ins.  My go-to search engine is Google.  From the communication software category I have used email most frequently.  One other choice I might include in my lessons would be discussion boards.  Problem solving software includes the very popular use of games and simulations.  I think games are a great way to encourage and motivate students.  Under the educational software category I think drill and practice software is important because it can be used "to reinforce student learning of basic skills" (114).

2.  I understand why students should use educational software and the Internet, but why should my fourth-graders learn to use spreadsheet, database, or video editing software?

The list of software recommended for grades 9-12 includes the following:
  • Word
  • Web browsers
  • Excel
  • Publisher
  • Powerpoint
  • Photostory
  • Paint
  • Activstudio
  • Moviemaker
  • Audacity
  • eZedia
  • HyperStudio
  • Inspiration
  • Abode Photoshop
  • Lightroom
3.  How can student use of different types of software help improve scores on state tests?

Beyond educational software, games and simulations like Quizlet and others might improve testing scores.  Word processing alone has been shown to "encourage students to write more frequently (94).  Reading scores could be improved with the use of software like "2 Words a Day" which introduces new vocabulary.  Blogs, wikis, and podcasts are also valuable tools that could improve state test scores.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment